How to pick the correct ribbon length? according to level:
- Senior Gymnasts: the suggested length of the ribbon is 6 meters
- Junior Gymnasts: the suggested length of the ribbon is 5 meters
- For beginners, the suggested length of the ribbon is 5 meters
according to age:
- For gymnasts ages 15 and younger the suggested length of the ribbon is 5 meters
- For gymnasts ages 15 and older the suggested length of the ribbon is 6 meters
How to maintain a rhythmic gymnastics ribbon?
- Store the ribbon in a ribbon winder to prevent it getting wavy
- When ironing a ribbon, press with a damp cloth at 140°C to 160°C (284°F to 320°F)
- Do not iron on the FIG marking
- The ribbon should not be steamed or ironed when it has been dyed
- To make the ribbon stiffer use spray starch, then steam iron it
- A ribbon can be dyed using textile colours and creating patterns using textile markers. If you plan on dying your ribbon then test the colours on a textile sample first.
- To keep the ribbon from fraying at the edges store it in a ribbon winder, keep the ribbon away from sharp objects, regularly inspect the ends of your ribbons to make sure that the seams are in top shape and if needed apply a silicone spray to make your ribbon more slippery.