How to attach rhinestones to a costume?
Rhinestones used for clothing and leotards usually have a flat back which is foiled in silver to add extra sparkle. They can have glue already applied (hotfix), non-hotfix or have holes for sewing.
If you own a hotfix applicator then look at the video below. Don’t forget to read the manufacturer instructions before using the applicator.
However, if you are missing this applicator then read the instructions below. In addition to the garment and hotfix rhinestones, you will need fabric glue, pencil and cotton swab as well as an iron.
- Using a pencil or cotton swab add a thin layer of glue to the rhinestone before placing it on the desired part of your garment. The extra layer of glue is necessary so that the crystal wouldn’t move during ironing.
- Allow the glue to dry for 10 minutes and then iron over the rhinestones. We recommend adding a sheet of baking paper between the iron and the garment so that the iron wouldn’t ruin the garment. Before ironing check on the corner of the garment weather or not the material tolerates heat.
- Iron in each position for approximately 10 seconds
- Allow the glue to cool for a few minutes.
- Check that the crystals are attached to the garment. If needed repeat the iron process.
- We recommend adding a piece of cardboard or something strong inside the garment (heat tolerant) so that you wouldn’t accidentally glue the two sides of the garment togehter.