How to use a turning board?
Tips while using a turning board:
- Start SLOW. That is, the first time you turn, turn very gently. You’ll be surprised how quickly you turn while on the turn board and likely won’t be prepared for it.
- Remember to spot and engage your core!
- Prepare in the same position as you would for a normal pirouette.
- Make sure to not to sit in your supporting leg.
- Less is more! Turn boards have less friction than your feet and/or dance shoes. A little force during the preparation will go a long way.
- Pulling your arms in closer to your body will actually speed up a turn. Be careful though when trying this. Too much force could throw you off balance.
- We recommend using the turning board on a mat as it can scratch the floors
HERE you can find a blog post with instructions on the types of exercises that can be done on a turning board.
Here is a video on how to use a turning board: